I never leave my house without a snack or two in my handbag.
Bonus points for me if that snack has protein and fiber in it, and double bonus points from my kids if it tastes sinfully chocolatey!
For a quick and easy, no-bake, healthy, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, raw energy, paleo snack that your kids will love helping you to make, you honestly cannot go wrong with this recipe! Look how many dietary boxes we just ticked!
- 4 Dates or a heaped tablespoon of date spread
- ½ Cup nut butter (for a healthier option, try naturally roasted and salted)
- 2 Tablespoons raw rolled oats
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- Pulse the dates and oats in a food processor until it forms a sticky ball.
- Transfer the ball to a mixing bowl, and let your little one help you to add the peanut butter and cocoa powder. Mix well. If the mixture is too oily, add more oats.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough mixture and help your little one to roll them into small balls. It should make around 10-12 balls.
- Refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes so that the balls can firm up, then enjoy!
- Store them in a sealed container in the fridge, and they can last up to 1 week.
- You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. Just let them thaw out overnight in the fridge when you are ready to enjoy them.
I have seen many variations of energy ball recipes that also add chia seeds, chocolate chips, raisins, sunflower seeds. You can sweeten them with honey or maple syrup too, but honestly I find them perfect for my sweet tooth. Depending on what you and your kids like, this is such an easy recipe to play around with and experiment with. Enjoy these balls of deliciousness guilt-free!
Contributed by Lauren Mayer of Clamber Club Toddlers – Atlantic Seaboard
Tel: 082 789 0374