The best homemade bread recipe, it’s so easy to make your kids can make it themselves. “Hmm! That’s yum!” That’s what Ben and Lene said when they took a bite of their homemade bread. And guess who baked this homemade bread? They did!
Ben and Lene, are almost 4 years old. At home it’s all about having fun from playing in the smallest town or baking on the weekends. They love helping mommy in the kitchen and around the house with various activities.
Children develop, learn and grow by exploring or trying new things by themselves. Today we decided to make homemade bread and share our recipe with you.
- 1 kg self-raising all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups boiled water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- Add 1 kg of flour to a mixing bowl. Ben held the bow whilst Lene added the flour.
- Add 1 ½ cups of boiled water (wait for the water to be cool enough for the children to add themselves)
- Mix contents with a spoon.
- Add the salt and sugar in with the rest of the mixture.
- When the mixture forms a ball, start to knead using your hands and fists.
- Lene and Ben really enjoyed this part of the process because they where able to really get their hand stuck in with the dough.
- Add a little blob of butter to your bread tin to base it or simply use spray ‘n cook.
- Form a rectangular shape with your dough and add it to your bread tin.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour on 180 degrees
- 5 minutes before the bread is baked brush your whisked egg on top
- Add some cheese and pop it back in the oven for 5 minutes with your oven off
The bread emerged from the oven, golden and crusty. The inside was soft and chewy. I don’t think we got quite the height we where supposed to, but no one seemed to care as we slathered slices of bread with softened butter and devoured them.