Sensory play is crucial for toddlers, as it provides them with opportunities to actively use their senses as they explore their world. Sensory play is important for a toddler’s brain development. There are many benefits of sensory play. Such as:
- Sensory play encourages children to explore and investigate.
- Sensory activities allow children to refine their thresholds for different sensory information.
- Children can learn to block out noise that is not important and focus on the play that is occurring.
- Sensory play can assist the child with touching, smelling, and playing with the texture in an environment with little expectation.
- It helps build nerve connections in the brain.
- Encourages development of motor skills.
- It supports language development.
- It encourages problem solving.
We all know how toddlers love to put just about everything in their mouths. To all the momma’s out there who stress about this, I have the perfect taste safe sensory play recipe for you. You can use white chia seeds to make the perfect taste safe goo like slime. If you are unable to find white chai seeds ground, chai seeds work well and add a fantastic additional texture. Please see the recipe below.
- ¼ cup of white chia seeds.
- Food colouring (6 different colours)
- 1 ¾ cups of water
- Glad wrap
- Equally distribute the white chia seeds into 6 separate containers/bowls.
- Add food colouring to each container/bowl. A different colour in each.
- Pour the water into each container/bowl.
- Stir well.
- Place glad wrap over each container/bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine all the colours, by pouring each bowl of chia seeds into to one large dish, making a rainbow of colours.
- Lastly, enjoy!
Contributed by Kirstie Bouton of Clamber Club Toddlers – Bryanston